Piggy bank


How can I finance my stay in Germany?

  1. You are here:
  2. Study
  3. Prepare your stay
  4. Finance

Financing your stay

Financing a study stay is one of the main challenges for international students. Before coming to Germany, when applying for a visa, you already have to prove that you have sufficient means to finance your stay.

If you want to work as an international student, several specific rules are put in place and the rules that apply depend on the type of residence permit you have.


Time limit?


Paid employment (e.g. in a restaurant)

120 full or 240 half days per year

No, only in case you have already worked 120 full or 240 half days this year

Academic or student assistant


No, only inform the Immigration Office responsible for your district

Mandatory internship



Voluntary internship

120/240 days rule applies

No, only in case you have already worked 120 full or 240 half days this year

Working during your study stayOpen areaClose area

Part-time jobs

Many international students therefore look for a job in Germany to earn a bit more money. Please take a look at the following dedicated websites to find more information on jobs:

You can also keep an eye on the different display cases and TV screens on the campus - every now and then, job offers will pop up there.

To which extent are you allowed to work in Germany?

  • International students (from non-EU and non-EFTA countries or Switzerland) can work 120 full or 240 half days per year.
  • If you want to work more than 120 full or 240 half days per year, you will need the permission of the Immigration Office. In their turn, the Immigration Office will have to ask the German Federal Employment Agency whether they can give you the permission. If you earn more than 450 EUR per month, you will have to pay income taxes on your wage.
  • An exception, however, is working as an academic or student assistant: as long as your studies are not at risk, there is no limit on the number of days you work. However, if you want to work as an academic or student assistant, you should still inform the Immigration Office!

  • For those visiting language courses or preparatory programmes, more stringent rules apply. In this case, you can only work during holiday periods.
  • For international students from EU and EFTA Member States or Switzerland, no limitations apply due to the free movement of labour (TFEU Art. 45). You can work as much as you want. But please note that, just as for students with a German passport, the '20 Hours-rule' applies: if you work more than 20 hours per week, you are obliged to pay contributions to the German health insurance.

InternshipsOpen areaClose area

If you are not a citizen of an EU or EFTA Member State and want to do an internship in Germany, your internship will be seen as a regular job - even if your internship is unpaid. Every day at your internship will be taken from your 120 days credit.

If you have already worked 120 days during the current year, you will need the permission to the German Federal Employment Agency.

Only internships that are an obligatory part of your study programme in Germany do not influence the number of days you can work in Germany. These days will not be taken from the 120 days credit.

Cost of living

The costs of living in Germany are comparable to those in other European countries. You will need approximately 750 EUR per month to pay for your stay in Germany.

Your personal costs of living will depend on your lifestyle. Your monthly expenses could look like this:

Monthly expenses


Rent (dormitory, including charges)

160 - 330 EUR

Rent (shared flat, Berlin-Brandenburg region)

200 - 500 EUR

Rent (single appartment, Berlin-Brandenburg region)

350 - 600 EUR

Semester fees (including public transport ticket)

~ 300 EUR (per semester)


160 EUR

Lunch in the university dining hall

1,40 - 2,50 EUR

Dinner at a restaurant

10 - 20 EUR


2 - 4 EUR


3 - 5 EUR

Loaf of bread

~ 1 - 2 EUR

Mineral water (1,5l)

~ 0,50 - 1,50 EUR

Milk (1l)

~ 0,50 - 1,50 EUR

Coca Cola (1l)

~ 1 EUR

Health insurance

95 EUR

Telecommunication, broadcasting contribution

30 EUR

Leisure activities, culture, sports

100 EUR

International Office

Before and during your time at the TH Wildau the team at the International Office is your central contact point.

Mr. Simon Devos
Mrs. Carolina Winkler

House 13, Room 038