Photo by Nareeta Martin on Unsplash



Visa applicationOpen areaClose area

Non-EU citizens need a visa to enter Germany if they want to study.
Note: Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, the United States of America, Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino do also not need a visa to enter Germany for study purposes and can obtain the necessary residence permit for study purposes after entry in Germany.

You must apply for a student visa or a student applicant visa, as each German visa is tied to a specific purpose of stay. Please do not travel to Germany on a tourist visa, as this cannot be converted into a residence permit in Germany!

To apply for a visa you need:

  • your passport
  • your admission letter from the university or a confirmation of application
  • proof of finance for your stay in Germany

Attention: the issuance of the visa can take several months. Please inquire about further formalities at the German consulate / embassy in your home country in advance and apply for your visa as early as possible!

If you have been admitted, you can apply for a student visa. At TH Wildau, admission letters are usually issued at the beginning of August.

It is also possible to apply for a student applicant visa. To do this, you must present a confirmation that you have already applied at our university.

Your visa will usually be valid for three months, after which it is converted into a residence permit for study purposes. This is the responsibility of the Immigration Office of your place of residence (see below).

After your arrival in Germany, your visa will be converted into a residence permit (= long-term visa) by the local immigration authorities (see below).

Extending your visa - obtaining a residence permitOpen areaClose area

After your arrival in Germany, your visa will be converted into a residence permit (= long-term visa) by the local immigration authorities. You will need the following documents to apply for this:

  • Application for a residence permit
  • Certificate of matriculation from the university
  • Registration with the registration authority
  • Rental agreement
  • Proof of finance
  • Valid health insurance
  • Biometric passport photo

Students from the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland do not need a residence permit. However, they must also prove to the Immigration Office that they have health insurance and can finance their studies.

Both the residence permit and the visa are earmarked for a specific purpose. International students apply for a residence permit for their studies or for a language course or for study preparation. The purpose of your stay determines the extent to which you may take up employment! Students in preparatory language courses may only work during the holidays.

A residence permit for study purposes is issued for up to two years and must always be extended before this period expires.

Please remember to submit a copy of your current residence permit to the university.

Proof of financeOpen areaClose area

In order to obtain a visa or residence permit, you need proof that you are able to finance at least the living expenses of the first year of your studies.

The minimum amount required to cover your monthly living expenses is currently set by German law at 863 EUR/month.

You can prove the financing of your living expenses in various ways:

  • Blocked account: The amount required for your entire stay (6-12 months) is paid into an account. From this, a maximum monthly amount can be withdrawn, which ensures that your living expenses are covered. More information about blocked accounts can be found here.
  • Declaration of commitment: A declaration of commitment is a written guarantee in which e.g. your parents decolare to cover your monthly expenses in Germany. Please contact the German embassies in your home country for further information.
  • Scholarship: If you receive a scholarship, you can use it to cover all or part of your living expenses in Germany.

We strongly recommend that you ask the German embassy / consulate in your home country which proof you need!


Immigration officesOpen areaClose area

Please note that you must apply at the immigration office of the region where you are living.

Students living in the Dahme-Spreewald region (Wildau, Königs Wusterhausen, Niederlehme, ...) must apply at the Immigration Office in Königs Wusterhausen

Landkreis Dahme-Spreewald

Schulweg 1b
15711 Königs Wusterhausen

Phone: 03375 26 2106

More information about the Immigration office in Königs Wusterhausen


Students living in Berlin must apply at the Immigration Office in Berlin

Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten
Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24
13353 Berlin

Phone: 030 90869 0

More information about applying for a residence permit in Berlin

Schedule an appointment with the Immigration Office in Berlin

Contact International Office

The International Office supports you before and during your stay at TH Wildau.

Mr. Simon Devos-Chernova
Ms. Carolina Winkler


House 13, Room 033