Life in Germany
Wildau ist eine Stadt im Grünen, am Wasser in schöner naturräumlicher Lage, die sich Touristen und Einheimische unter anderem über den Dahme-Wanderweg erschließen können.

Life in Germany

Rights & duties

InsurancesOpen areaClose area

Health insurance

If you want to study in Germany, you need health insurance. You cannot be enrolled without health insurance. You are obliged to be insured up to the age of 30 or the 14th semester and will in the worst case be exmatriculated if you do not have insurance cover.

As an EU student, you remain covered by health insurance in your home country and do not have to apply for additional health insurance in Germany.


Choosing a health insurance policy

  • There are two types of health insurance in Germany: public and private. However, up to the age of 30 or the 14th semester you must get a public health insurance. You can only take out private health insurance in exceptional cases.
  • Attention: Once you are privately insured, you can no longer switch to a public health insurance provider!
  • In most cases, however, the public insurance is the cheaper option - unless you are privately insured via your parents.


Recognition of foreign health insurance

Social security agreements exist with some countries, including the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area: If you have public health insurance in your home country, you can have this insurance cover recognised by a public health insurance fund in Germany. However, clarify already in your home country which documents you need for it! For students, this is usually the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can apply for the EHIC free of charge from your health insurance provider at home.

Your insurance may not cover all costs in Germany. Before you enter Germany, find out exactly which services you can use in Germany. If you do not have insurance cover in your home country, you still have to take insurance in Germany, just like all other students.

Private health insurance in other countries may also be recognised in Germany under certain circumstances. Please  clarify the details with your insurance company.

If your private health insurance is recognised, you will need confirmation that you are exempt from compulsory health insurance for enrolment at TH Wildau. However, you can then no longer change to a public health insurance for the duration of your studies!

Source: Deutsches Studentenwerk


Accident insurance

As a student at TH Wildau you are legally insured against accidents on your way between your home and the TH Wildau as well as within the university. In addition, the Studentenwerk Potsdam has taken out a group accident insurance policy for all students of the TH Wildau, which also covers accidents in the leisure sector, during internships and during exam preparation activities outside the university.

However, the International Office recommends that you also get adequate accident insurance coverage.


Liability insurance

TH Wildau does not provide liability insurance which covers the insured against claims for damages by third parties. Therefore, the International Office recommends that you take care of your own liability insurance.

Working during your studiesOpen areaClose area

The financing of studies is one of the biggest hurdles for international students. When applying for a visa, you must prove that you have sufficient funds to finance your study stay in Germany before you arrive in Germany.

Many international students therefore look for a job in Germany and earn some extra money. You can find job offers for students on campus. However, working for international students in Germany is limited and depends on the type of residence permit you have.


Working during your studies

  • International students from outside the EU or the EEA are allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days a year.
  • If you want to work more than 120 full days or 240 half days in a job, you need a permit from the Immigration Office. The Immigration Office, on the other hand, will check with the Federal Employment Agency. If you earn more than 450 euros a month, you have to pay taxes.
  • An exception, however, is work as an academic or student assistant: as long as the studies are not endangered, this work can be carried out indefinitely. However, the Immigration Office must still be informed if you want to work as an academic or student assistant!
  • For language course participants or students in preparatory measures, stricter regulations apply than for regular international students. They are only allowed to work during the holidays.
  • International students from the EU or EEA countries, as well as Switzerland, may work as much as they wish during their studies without a special permit due to the free movement of workers. But watch out! Just as for students with German citizenship, the 20-hour rule applies. If you work more than 20 hours a week, you have to pay insurance premiums.



If you do not come from the EU or the EEA and complete an internship in Germany, this counts as regular work - even if the internship is unpaid! Each day of the internship is deducted from your 120-day credit.

If, for example, you have already worked 120 days, you must obtain the approval of the Immigration Office and the Employment Agency for an internship.

The only exceptions are internships, which are an obligatory part of your studies. These do not count as regular working time.

Registration with local authorities ('Anmeldung')Open areaClose area

Like German citizens, international students must register their place of residence at the Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgeramt. If you have found an apartment, a room in a dormitory or a shared flat in Germany, you must register with the Einwohnermeldeamt within two weeks. Please remember to also register your place of residence after you moved!

The registration confirmation serves as proof of address and you need it, for example, when you open an account.

For the registration you need:

  • Passport or ID card
  • Rental agreement
  • Registration form
  • Enrolment certificate

If you register with your main residence in Wildau, you will receive a welcome money of 50,- Euro per semester on request from the city of Wildau. Further information can be found here.


Einwohnermeldeamt Wildau
Karl-Marx-Straße 36
15745 Wildau
Phone: 03375/5054-59 or -60

Office hours:
Mondays 09.00 - 12.00
Tuesdays 09.00 - 12.00 o'clock and 14.00 - 18.00
Thursdays 09.00 - 12.00 hrs and 14.00 - 17.00


Bürgeramt Königs Wusterhausen
Schloßstraße 3
15711 Königs Wusterhausen

Phone: 03375 273 373

Office hours:
Mondays 8.00 - 13.00
Tuesdays 8.00 -19.00
Thursdays 8.00 - 18.00
Fridays 7.00 - 12.00



If you live in Berlin, you will find the relevant registration office on the Internet.

Public broadcasting licence feeOpen areaClose area

Public tv and radio is available for everyone in Germany, and the German public service broadcasters are financed by the licence fee. This fee amounts to €17.50 per month and is levied for each residence – regardless of how many people live there or how many devices they use. Students also have to pay the fee.

More information can be found here.

BankingOpen areaClose area

Payment methods

In Germany, payments are still made in cash very frequently. This is especially true for smaller amounts. Although credit cards are relatively common, they are not very common for everyday purchases. However, payment by EC card is widespread.


Bank account

Open a bank account as soon as possible after your arrival. This makes it much easier to arrange monthly payments such as rent and insurance!

To open a bank account in Germany you need the following documents:

  • Certificate of enrolment from the university
  • Passport or identity card
  • Registration certificate from the residents' registration office (see above)
  • Appointment at the bank (recommended)

Ask your bank or savings bank for free current accounts for students.


Blocked account

If you have already set up a blocked account in your home country, you must now activate it in Germany.

To activate your blocked account, it is best to make an appointment with your bank branch in advance and bring the following documents with you:

  • Registration certificate from the residents' registration office (see above)
  • Certificate of enrolment from the university
  • Your passport

The bank will then fill out a service order together with you. Please note that without this service order your account will be blocked (i.e. previously submitted transfers or direct debits will not be executed).

Please note that it may take several weeks to activate your account. Bring enough cash with you to have enough money available in the first few weeks.

University life

Semester feesOpen areaClose area

All students at TH Wildau pay a contribution to public transport in Berlin and Brandenburg. Upon your arrival, you will be asked to pay this contribution of about 200 EUR, after which you will receive your student ID which includes the public transport ticket.

Students obtaining a degree from TH Wildau must also pay some administrative charges towards Studentenwerk Potsdam and the Wildau Student Council. Their total contribution amounts to ca. 300 EUR per semester.

German language coursesOpen areaClose area

Our Language Centre offers different German language courses. More information can be found here.

Student ServicesOpen areaClose area

A full overview of relevant student services and information regarding your studies in Wildau can be found here.

University sportsOpen areaClose area

As a student at TH Wildau, you can take part in different sport courses taking place on the campus. More information can be found here.

Social life

Living expensesOpen areaClose area

The cost of living is comparable with other Western European countries. You should have about 850 Euro per month available for accommodation and care.

Your cost of living depends on your lifestyle. Your monthly expenses could look something like this:

  • Rent of dormitory (incl. additional costs): 160 - 330 EUR
  • Rent WG (Berlin/Brandenburg): 200 - 500 EUR
  • Rent one-room apartment (Berlin/Brandenburg): 350 - 600 EUR
  • Semester fee (incl. ticket for public transport Berlin/Brandenburg)~ 350 EUR (per semester)
  • Food: 160 EUR
  • Lunch in the Canteen: 1.40 - 2.50 EUR
  • Dinner out: 10 - 20 EUR
  • Coffee: 2 - 4 EUR
  • Beer: 3 - 5 EUR
  • Loaf of bread: ~ 1 - 2 EUR
  • Bottle of mineral water: (1,5l) ~ 0.50 - 1.50 EUR
  • Milk (1l) ~ 0.50 - 1.50 EUR
  • Coca Cola (1l) ~ 1 EUR
  • health insurance: 110 EUR
  • Telephone, TV licence fee, Internet: 30 EUR
  • Leisure, culture, sports: 100 EUR
  • Cinema ticket (student rate): ~ 8 - 15 EUR


Public transportOpen areaClose area

With your semester ticket you can use public transport throughout Berlin and Brandenburg. For further information, please check out the following webpages:

With S-Bahn line S 46 from Berlin (Westend/Südkreuz) in the direction of Königs Wusterhausen you can travel directly to the Wildau station, which is located directly in front of the university.

ShoppingOpen areaClose area

In Germany, shops are usually open from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.. On Saturday from 9 a.m to 4 p.m.

Supermarkets usually open from Monday to Friday at 8 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. or 10 p.m. at the latest.

Petrol stations are usually open seven days a week and often close only at night.